Quoth guppiecat :
I just saw another article drift across my RSS stating "Humans and Neanderthals interbred". Of course, last year, I saw two articles stating the opposite. The year before, there was a mix of articles on both sides of the fence. It's gotten to the point where I think that this is the anthropological equivalent to the oscillating nutritional view of eggs and butter.
So I wish to propose an alternate theory.
1) Evolution works well because sex feels good.
2) In order for sex to mix up genes and benefit evolution, folks have to try new stuff.
3) People can be pretty inventive.
4) 100,000 years is a long time.
5a) It is inconceivable that, in 100,000 years, absolutely no humans developed Neanderthal fetishes.
5b) There were probably also fern fetishes, neat-shaped rock fetishes and (short lived) sabre tooth tiger fetishes.
6) Therefore, throughout the course of human (pre)history, just like today, everybody got themselves a bit of nookie... and their neighbors probably thought that they were weird.
The Rule 34 of Anthropology, QWP from a locked post...